Thursday, January 14, 2016

And now there are 5

My sister texted me yesterday morning.  My mom called her and told her that she needed to get rid of her cats.  She has two six month old kittens, a boy and a girl.  She's been completely in love with them up until the past few weeks.  I'm not entirely sure what's going on.  I know they're a bit mischievous.  The boy kitty has been waking her up at night.  One of them likes to chew on cords.  I guess they got to be a bit much to handle.  My sister knew I had some pictures of them and she was thinking we could post something to Facebook to see if anyone we knew would take them. 

My immediate reaction was, "She's going to regret this.  I can't let her give these cats away."  So I did something crazy.  I said I'd take them.

I'm not an animal person.  I don't dislike animals and I'd never mistreat one, I'm sure I'd be sad if any of our animals died, but I wouldn't be devastated.  I have not sought out any of our animals.  They've all found us in some way.  Killer was a stray that just didn't leave.  Ollie was a stray that my friend found and asked if we'd take him.  Henrietta was a stray that Bill picked up.  And now two more kittens.  Misty and Tiger (I don't really care for the names, but we're not going to change them - as much as I'd love to).

I figured if I took the kittens, my mom would still be able to change her mind or at least see them. 

20151206_151558

Misty is the soft gray kitty on the left, Tiger is on the right.  He looks a bit like Henrietta, but with a slightly browner coat and he's a little bigger.

I rounded up the girls after school, decided Isabelle could have a break from school for the afternoon (we'll have to do some work to make up for it on Saturday), and went to get the cats from my mom.

My poor Momma.  She really does love the kittens and she was so sad to see them go.  It completely broke my heart.  But she insisted.  They had to go.  It worries me a bit, if I'm honest.  She just made it through the first Christmas without my Dad and now she's giving up her cats that she adores.  I don't want her to be sad.

We brought the cats home and opened up the carrier.  Killer couldn't care less.  I expected more of a reaction, because she hates Henrietta, but she just ignored it all.  Henrietta was not happy.  She stalked up to the carrier hissing.  She's a big talker, though.  She wouldn't get too close.  Misty and Tiger slipped out and ran under the couch, where they stayed all night.  I can't say how Ollie reacted, because he never had the chance to see them.  He sniffed all their belongings (my mom had tons of toys for them), but I don't know that he realizes they're really in the house.  Misty ventured out at some point because she was in the window  this morning, but Tiger is still hiding.

So, now we have 5 pets.  So much for not being an animal person, huh?


1 comment:

  1. I would say I love animals, but I've tried owning pets a couple of times and found them too much of a hassle and inconvenience. The last time was trying to deal with a new puppy while travelling back and forth to see my dying mother in another state. We rehomed the puppy. I'm not in a hurry to try again soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...