Sunday, October 21, 2012

Punkin Patch time! (and other miscellaneous news)

Today we made our annual excursion to the pumpkin patch.  The past 5 or 6 years, we've gone to the same pumpkin patch, but this year I decided we'd mix it up and go to a different place.  We went to Bobrook Farms, which is out in the area where I pretty much grew up.  I love it out there and it seemed like a good excuse to drive out there.  It's kind of odd to feel homesick for a place only half an hour away, but I do sometimes.  We wouldn't mind moving out there, but property out there is really expensive now.  And it would be a killer commute, gas-wise.



This new place had a lot of fun things to do...



A hay bale maze, which Zoe kept getting totally lost in.



A corn pit, which they would have stayed in the whole time, I think.

DSC_0037

A sunflower maze, which was so crazy beautiful.

DSC_0058

They also had a hay ride, but I think it's the one thing that I prefer at the other place we have been to.  This was just a 15 minute ride as opposed to 30 minutes, and not nearly as pretty.  But, overall, it was a nice change.

DSC_0021

DSC_0023

DSC_0049

Afterwards, we went to the Visitor Center at Pinnacle Mountain State Park and went to the overlook.  It's actually about a mile from the park itself, but the view is really pretty.  Isabelle, my little yogini, tried out a few yoga poses...

DSC_0145

That's Eagle pose.  Kinda.

So... what else is going on? 

I went to the doctor on Friday.  I've been a terrible patient and haven't been in 2 years.  Not since being diagnosed as being diabetic.  Back then, my A1C (kind of like a 3 month snapshot of my blood sugar levels) was 7.9.  4.5-6 is "normal" and 6.1-6.5 is "prediabetic".  I was well into the diabetic range.  But apparently, what I've been doing has been working because I was at 6.4 on Friday.  =)  Without medication.  I have to go back in 3 months, so hopefully I can knock it down a little more. 

I am thinking about doing something pretty big.  And scary.  I actually was thinking about it a few months ago and just kind of pushed the decision off, but I was reminded of it again today.  I think I want to walk the half-marathon at the Little Rock Marathon in March.  And the weird thing is... when I looked at it today and checked out their suggested training schedule - it begins tomorrow!  13.1 miles.  Eek!  And it has to be completed in 4 hours.  Eek!  I think I could do it.  I do Leslie Sansone's Walk-at-home videos all the time and they go upwards of 5mph.  Yes, I know there's a HUGE difference between walking a race course and walking in my kitchen (yes, I workout in the kitchen).  I did 5 miles with her video just Friday night.  My only real concern is figuring out the long walks on the schedule, because my alone time is pretty limited.  It will definitely require some support from my husband and possibly some occasional babysitting from my sister.  During the week, I'd only be doing 3-4 mile walks, but they go up to 10 miles towards the end of the training on the weekend.  I also have to come up with the registration fee, but I can start training before I actually register.  It's kind of scary, but I can only imagine how excited and proud I'd be to finish half a marathon!  Plus, the medals are stupidly big, so that would be nice.  =)

Other than that... I can't really think of much going on that's newsworthy.  Just working, working out, homework.... lots of work =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...