Monday, March 7, 2016

Avocado

Hello!  =)

How's it going?  Good?  Good.

So, you know, my Mom lives in an apartment building for seniors.  And every week we walk past this one particular door on our way to my Mom's.  The lady that lives there decorates her door up for the holidays and it always makes me smile.  Last week, she had changed it over to St. Patrick's Day, with a big green shamrock on the door and a cute frog sitting outside the door.  As we were leaving, I told my Mom that I should make her a little present since she always makes me smile.  A little frog, I thought.  When I got home, I settled on a pattern and had the yarn on hand, so I began.

I didn't realize until after buying and printing the pattern that the pattern was written for fingering or lace yarn.  I had worsted weight.  I knew the pattern would still work, it just meant it would be bigger than I thought it would be.

A lot bigger.

I was thinking I'd be making a little 6 inch froggie.  A small token.  

The thing turned into a beast!


I didn't officially measure it, but it was a good 12" from nose to tail.  Huge.  But it was so much fun to make.  I'm just in awe that the pattern designer can take a bunch of hexagons and pentagons and form different animal shapes out of them.  There's a while line of patterns and I'm already planning to make 3 or 4 more of them as Easter gifts for the girls.  

20160306_170355

The girls named him Avocado.  I left  him by her other frog with a little note.  I didn't tell her who I was.  I just wanted it to be a little random act of kindness.  I hope she likes it.

************

One of the Christmas presents we got for the family (including my sister and brother-in-law) was tickets to go see School House Rock Live this past weekend.  It was a small production at the Children's Theater, but it was so amazing!


School House Rock has a special place in my heart, because my Dad used to sing the songs all the time, especially Lolly, Lolly, Lolly.  If you remember, my sisters and I actually have matching Lolly tattoos.  My sister and I agreed before the show that they probably wouldn't do Lolly, because it seems no one ever remembers that song.  Oh, but they did.  And it put such a huge smile on my face.  The whole production was fantastic.  It was just so fun!  If you have a children's theater in your area, you really should check it out.... the plays are great and it's really affordable.  Rumor has it they're doing Junie B. Jones next season.  We are so there.

And in case YOU don't recall Lolly.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Just wanted to let you know you made my night! That frog is adorable! I'm guilty of using different yarn and getting something much bigger than expected. I was having a bad night all around and I laughed out loud when I read your blog. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Sally

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...