Monday, August 8, 2011

Afghanorama

I haven't been posting anything very crafty lately, because all I've really done lately is work on my afghans.  Yup, it's plural.  I've been plugging along with Zoe's afghan, but decided to start on another afghan while we were out of town.

My new afghan is a thank you present for the person responsible for getting me on the cruise I'll be taking at the end of January.  And it's not the person I thought it was.  The actual person seems to want to remain anonymous, however... she spilled the beans to my sister.  So, I'm making this afghan on the down low, and will give it to her to let her know that I know and am very grateful.  It's the Stained Glass Window afghan that I've been dying to make.

afghans

I'm making all 12 squares at once, one color at a time, so that I can buy the different colors as I go and not try to handle 8 different skeins of yarn at once.  I'm at a standstill until I can get to Hobby Lobby later in the week to buy the next couple of colors.  It uses the overlay crochet technique, which I've been wanting to try out.  It's pretty fun and challenging.  I have a much more detailed overlay crochet pattern I want to try that uses embroidery floss, so getting familiar with the technique with worsted weight yarn is going to help out a lot.  I'll probably hate giving this afghan away.  I guess I'll just have to make two.

Zoe's blanket's progress isn't very visible at the moment.

afghans

When I got the row that started with the green color, I made all of the flower centers for the row, but I was in a very green mood and made all the squares green.  I decided it would be a good thing to get an idea of how many squares I would be able to make per skein, so I could have a better idea of how many I'll need of each color.  Two skeins of each color will be sufficient, until I decide how to do the border, but I'm leaning towards yellow and white on that and will still be OK with 2 skeins apiece there, also.  I think.  I'll worry about that later.

That's all that's going on right now.  I am not inspired to work on much else at the moment.  It's too hot to work on shawls or hats...  and I'm not feeling the amigurumi vibe at the moment.  I will just cruise along with the afghans until the summer decides to chill out and maybe then my creative juices will flow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...