Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to dampen my excitement

Long story short... school shopping.

Man, that was way more fun when I was the student and my mom was paying for it.  It could have been less painful if I hadn't had to take all three kids with me.  But I did.

I feel like someone is stabbing my head with ice picks right now.  Excedrin better kick in soon.

We started the afternoon off by going to get Isabelle's hair cut.  I hated how the chick cut it after Izzy went all choppy choppy on it.  It was OK if Iz would put barrettes or a headband in her hair, but she is iffy at best at keeping things like that in her hair.  So I had my work buddy cut it.  She's really good at cutting the girls' hair.  I should have taken Iz to her to begin with, but my friend was recovering from surgery and I didn't want to bother her.

Here is Miss Iz now...

hair

The other side is still a little choppy, but there was no way to fix it without her looking like a boy, but at least 75% of her head looks super cute now.  That's really the best I can hope for with her, I suppose.  LOL

After grabbing some dinner, we went off to finish off our school shopping.  Right off the bat, we had drama.  The kids have to have mesh or clear backpacks and for some stupid reason, they have a huge wall of everything but that.  Just a tiny section of pink or black mesh backpacks.  And tonight, there was only one pink one.  I needed two.  I promised Olivia that we could decorate the black one to be girly, but she was flailing around, wailing about the unfairness of it all. 

I'm so not a drama queen.  How on earth did I spawn one?

I told her we'd see if there were any more around the store and deal with it at the end of the trip.

The actual supply shopping was uneventful.  But then we went to get shoes.

I hate shoe shopping.  I own the bare minimum, which is a pair of sneakers, my Chucks, and a few pair of flip flops.  I don't need anything else.  I don't go anywhere but work and to the store.  So I don't get all excited over cute shoes.  Olivia does.  Maybe she was switched at birth.

She wanted red glitter ballet flats.  I told her she had to have sneakers.  More flailing.  Then, of course, when she gave in, the sneakers she wanted didn't have her size.  It took a while, but she finally found something that would satisfy her need for glitter in her size that was a pair of sneakers.  The other two found their shoes in 30 seconds flat. 

Our elementary school students have to wear uniforms.  It makes no sense to me, because the middle school and high school don't wear uniforms.  When I was in elementary school, I didn't care what I wore.  I have pictures to prove it.  It wasn't until middle school that I cared.  So the whole uniform concept would make more sense to me if it applied to the older kids and not the younger kids.  But whatever. 

Zoe was devastated that she was only getting a lunch box and shoes and the rest of the items in the cart were for her sisters.  So, I thought, why not let her have a back-to-school outfit? 

Bad idea.  She goes to Mother's Day Out and, of course, doesn't wear a uniform.  So her outfit was just regular clothes.  Her sisters wanted a "regular clothes" outfit, too.  More drama.  I ruined Isabelle's entire day (she told me so), and it was just the end of the world. 

It was truly one of those "can't win" situations unless I was going to shell out even more money, which just isn't in the budget this week.

Really, much more fun when my parents were the ones footing the bill  and all I had to worry about was what character I wanted on my lunchbox.

But it's over, except I'll still have to pick up more uniforms over the next few weeks.  I was scraping the bottom of the barrel selection-wise since I opted out of the tax free weekend madness.  What we have right now will get us by until then.  And I will go alone.  I don't care what I have to do to make it happen... I will be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...