Saturday, June 9, 2012

Looks like puke to me

Our garden is going quite swimmingly.  I picked a 150 lb zucchini last week (maybe not 150, but it was HUGE) and have been coming up with ways to use it up before it goes bad.  I have a few recipes pinned, but there was one that I was just really curious about trying. 




When I actually got around to reading the recipe, I was REALLY curious.  I've heard about the Paleo way of eating... no grains and whatnot... and this is a Paleo recipe.  No flour.  No flour?  How does that work?  So I decided to give it a go.  I was briefly reminded of the black bean brownie disaster I made a while back which tasted and chewed like a tire, so I wasn't entirely convinced you could make brownies with zucchini and almond butter.

I grated the zucchini and added the almond butter (which my girls thought was really good... it didn't taste that different from peanut butter to me).  When I went to get the honey, I remembered that my kids had the bottle outside doing God knows what with it, so I had thrown it away.  I did have agave nectar, so I used that instead.  I mixed it all up and threw it in the pan.  It did not look really promising, let me tell you.

Untitled

Pretty gross, right?  

So, what happens when you bake that mess?

Untitled

Brownies.  Kind of.  They're more like cake than brownies, but maybe if I had grated the zucchini finer, it would have been more brownie-like.  And believe it or not, they taste really good.  Very moist.  

I did look up the nutritional value, but I didn't save it to give an accurate report.  But I can tell you they are not a low-cal alternative.  Almond butter is pretty high in calories, so that stands to reason.  They are, however, lower in carbs, by maybe 1/3-1/2.  That's a definite plus.

I was pretty impressed.  The girls liked them, too.  And I only have 56 more lbs of zucchini to do something with now.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love the title of this post! It doesn't look that appetizing but (lotzcb cvwphxcfutttyuioilllrlyyyyyyyuyuih, message from Amelia) that doesn't hold true to taste! On a lot of things. I loved the tie dye shirts by the way! Looks like you guys are having a great summer so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amelia! ;) We are having a fun summer... hope you guys are as well!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...