Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Spontaneous vacation

How's summer treating you?  I know I've been fairly quiet... just not a lot to say.  Summer is icky to me, as usual.  Stressful, hot, lazy.  Ugh.  I tend to get really "blah" in the summer, and this summer is no exception.  I'm trying, but I can't shake it.  

We had Olivia all registered for her summer program that she went to last summer.  It's for gifted children, and we had to apply and provide recommendations and test scores.  So it's a fairly big deal to get accepted.  But she refused to go.  After weeks of her getting upset whenever we brought it up and several days of soul searching, I declined her spot.  I'm disappointed, but I can't force her to do something that upsets her.  It's an anxiety thing, I know... she is frightened of going all alone into a school full of people she doesn't know.  I just didn't feel right making her go.

Since we had the money saved up for that, and we had saved up a little more to put Isabelle in a different summer camp at the same time, we decided to take that money and put all three of them in a day camp 2 days a week for the rest of the summer.  The only problem with it is that the older two get to go off campus a few times to do fun field trips, and Zoe won't get to go because she's too young.  This Friday they're going to Jump Zone, so I anticipate a very ticked off 5 year old when she figures it out.  I haven't told any of them about the field trip.  However, I am hoping that getting them away from the house for 2 days a week will help with the boredom going on with them.

They have been fairly good this summer... up until this week.  This week, the boredom finally really settled in and they have been into EVERYTHING.  It's like the whole house has been turned upside down.  I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper, I will freely admit that.  But even I am just appalled right now.  I can't walk into Isabelle's room to kiss her goodnight, there is just so much junk on the floor.  They've gotten into craft supplies... glitter all over the other bedroom.  My bedroom is trashed and my blankets scattered all over the room every day.  The living room looks like a frat house.

Make them clean it up!  I TRY.  I came up with the ultimate reward for the week.  When we visited my friend last weekend, her daughter had a lot of make up (she's in dance) and they've been begging me for make up ever since.  So I said, "For every day you clean the living room, you will earn one item for a makeup box."  They were screaming, they were so excited.  How many have they earned, as of today (Wednesday)?  None.  I cannot find a reward that works.  I've tried going the negative route... lose the TV and computer for the rest of the day if you don't clean.  They're perfectly content playing without them.  It's really frustrating.

But I am truly sick of living in a pig sty.

Anyway, this morning, my coworker came in to work and announced that she's accepted another job.  :::sigh:::

We have 3 people who work in the front office.  Me, Coworker, and The New Girl.  The New Girl has been there about a month, and it took us over 3 months to find her after The Other Girl quit.  It was a horrible, excruciating 3 months of bizarre interviews and two other New Girls that lasted a week or 2.  It was awful.   Coworker and I have worked together for 8 years now.  I like her.  We get along great.  I hate that she's going.  But... Coworker is the Boss's daughter and working together has taken a huge toll on their relationship and causes a lot of stress at work in itself.  So I fully understand and support her.

I just don't want to spend months trying to find a replacement.  And I definitely don't want to do her job.  Period.  Scheduling.  Just shoot me.  Please.

We do already have an interview lined up, so fingers crossed....

When we were discussing when Coworker's last day will be, I made the decision that the week of vacation that I had yet to plan the dates for needed to happen before she leaves or else I just won't get to take it.  I was going to have a 4 day weekend this week.... today would have been my last day this week.  But I'm not finished with June's billing.  So I'll go in Friday (we're closed so it will be nice and peaceful), finish up the billing, and then I'm taking next week off.

And I'm going to clean.  Purge, organize, clean, clean, clean.  I know it's going to be like shoveling snow in a blizzard, but I'll duct tape the kids to the ceiling if I have to (joking.  maybe.) to get it done.

I'd rather go somewhere and not have to look at the mess for a week, but it's not in the budget to take a real vacation this year.  So I guess I'll be an adult and deal with the mess.  =)

I'm running a 5k in the morning.  I've been Super Slacker this week (or two) exercise-wise (um, diet-wise, too, maybe.  Definitely), so it might kill me.  If you don't hear from me, you'll know why.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your 5K. And the house. Mine is the same. My little boy was home "sick" today (bad cough that didn't stop him running amok) and the lounge room and kitchen and study floors are covered with little bits of paper from his craft work. And I can hardly get down the hall or into either child's bedroom!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...