Zoe's Mother's Day Out director is always gushing about the little dresses that Zoe sometimes wears to school that I make. A few weeks ago, she asked me if I thought I would be able to make a lab coat for her little boy's Mad Scientist birthday party coming up in June. I told her I'd have to look into it and I'd get back with her.
Well, what I discovered is a serious lack of child sized lab coat patterns. I did run across something somewhere (forgive me for not saving it so I could link to it), that suggested using a shirt pattern and just making it longer. Made sense to me. So I went looking for a suitable shirt pattern.
This is what I went with:
Any Hawaiian-style shirt pattern will work, this was the brand on sale when I went. =)
I bought some plain white cotton fabric and made two changes to the pattern. One, I made the sleeves long. Two, I added 6 inches to the length. That's it. Otherwise, I just followed the directions for the pattern.
Normally, I would make it a size bigger than needed, as well, but ended up making it the same size as the kid because I bought the pattern before asking what size he was and 8 was the biggest size. Hawaiian shirts are baggy anyway, so it will be fine.
I opted to not put any pockets on it, but it would have been a nice addition. After ripping the collar out twice, I just needed to be done with it and I knew she didn't care. It was my first time sewing a collar and I must say I'm not itching to do it again any time soon. I'm not one of those people who claim to be friends with the seam ripper. It's usually a project killer if I have to start ripping seams. Sad, but true. However, making a little money gives me extra patience. ;)