Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day, a day early

I've mentioned that we've started going to a new church.  Something about this church feels really nostalgic to me and it always stirs up memories of when I was a kid in church.  Last Sunday, it reminded me of my aunt who passed away a few years ago.  Today, as they were passing out plaques to families of members who passed away this past year, I was reminded of my Pawpaw.  It's been a very long time (18 or 19 years?) since he died, but I missed him so much right then.  I remembered  his Coleman Dairy uniform.  He only wore his dentures during family dinners, not that he needed them because he could eat an apple without them.  He was an amazing guitar player... he could play anything by ear after hearing it.  He smelled like tobacco and Old Spice.  I still love the smell of tobacco.  He was such a gruff kind of guy, and he called all of us Susie or Sis.  It's been a while since I've thought about him so much, and it was overwhelming.  I loved that man.  =)

After church and lunch, we headed out to have another blast from the past. A friend of mine, Nikki, is in town and had brought me some fat quarters cut from vintage sheets.  We grew up on the same road and in the same church.  I've known her family since I was a little girl and they still live out near where I grew up.  So we took the girls out there and I got to visit with Nikki's grandparents Sallie and Bud, and her dad John.  The girls got to ride around their large yard in Rangers and it was just a really great time.

On the way home, I took a quick peek at the fabric Nikki gave me and found this:

Untitled

I had sheets like this as a kid on my bed.  Talk about another rush of memories!  I am just so excited to have this.  Before, I had a few ideas of what to do with these different fat quarters... maybe a curtain for the girls' room or patchwork dresses.  Nope, now, I have to be selfish.  I'm honest-to-goodness thinking that I must make a quilt.  With that fat quarter smack in the middle, uncut and in all it's glory.  I'll have to get my sister to help me with the quilting and binding, but I'm going to figure out the top.  There were two whole sheets tucked into the bag, so fingers crossed, I can make it big enough for our full sized bed.  (And Nikki will be so proud, being a quilter herself!)

It's been quite a day for memories.  Tomorrow we'll go out and make some memories of our own, filled with gratitude for all the men and women who gave their lives to give us the freedom we so often take for granted.

Hope you've had a wonderful weekend so far and I hope you have a great day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...