Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Oh, hey there, hamstrings!

One more mental hurdle jumped!

I started C25k last night.  So many times when I have been out walking, I get the urge to run, but I was actually pretty terrified of it.  For several reasons.   The idea of just not being able to do it.  The idea of people watching me.  The idea of shin splints.  I could go on...

Mr. Bill was off last night and I had been such a huge slacker all weekend that I decided I'd get a jump start on it and go to the rec center.  I was so nervous.  I was hoping it would be fairly dead, but that was certainly not the case.  The track was busy, the gym equipment was busy... a lot of people to watch my first attempt at running.  The track is very tiny... 1/12 of a mile and 2 lanes (one for walkers, one for runners).  It goes around the gym equipment and over the basketball court below (yeah, that was busy, too).  Lots of windows to the outside, and I noticed as I was walking in that you can see the people on the track from the outside.  (You can also see the people in the fitness classes from outside... not motivation for me to take a class!)

I put my stuff up, checked my laces and got my app running.  I spent 5 minutes debating whether or not to actually run when the timer went off.  I had so many excuses.  My pinky toe that I (think I) broke last year felt out of place, I hadn't really worked out in a few days and maybe shouldn't go all out, there are SO MANY PEOPLE....  

Then the phone vibrated.  

I hesitated.

I switched lanes and took off running.

And I finished Week 1, Day 1.  =)

I'm not going to lie and say it was a breeze.  I was begging for the timer to go off by the end every run interval.  But I pushed myself to make every single one.  It wasn't as bad as I had feared, but it wasn't easy.  I definitely wasn't thinking "I can't wait until next week's 90 second intervals!"

I was feeling pretty good today, and my plan has been to take the girls to the rec center with me on Tuesdays and Thursdays and leave them at child care.  They have been so excited about it, so they weren't going to let me forget it.  I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to do 2 days back to back, but I wasn't sore, so I figured I'd knock out Week 1, Day 2.  

Let me just tell you, the poor teenage guy (yes, guy) in the child care room looked terrified when I brought three kids in there.  The girls said he didn't say one word to him the whole time they were there.  I'm not entirely thrilled with that, but the girls are pretty self-sufficient so as long as there's someone to make sure they don't leave and go drown in the pool across the hall, it'll be fine.

I went upstairs to the track, and still had that debate over doing my run or just walking, but I turned on the app and did my warm up walk.  Then the timer went off and I quickly realized that,  oh yes,  I actually was sore.  Tonight was definitely more difficult that last night.  My calves burned like crazy.  But I pushed through it.  

Week 1, Day 2 is in the books!

I walked for another 15 minutes or so to make sure I got my $6 worth of childcare, and then picked up the girls.... who actually put away all their toys and stuff without me asking.  Why won't they do that at home?

Now that I've gotten past the "everyone is watching me" thing (somewhat), my main irritation is that both times I've been, there is this couple that insists on walking side-by-side.  Remember, it's a 2 lane track.  This guy refuses to move over to let people pass, so we're (see me including myself with the runners?) trying to not run into the wall to get around him.  It's so aggravating I want to just shove him over the rail onto the basketball court. OK, that's a bit extreme, but really... Dude, get out of my way!

Now I have all evening free.  I don't know what to do with myself.  Hey, maybe I should crochet!  I hope I haven't forgotten how ;)

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! So proud of you!
    As for the couple that don't want to share the track...that irritates the crap out of me! There are always people like that on our track too. :/
    Keep it up! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first run! Once you build up your endurance, things will go easier!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...