Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Birdcage

Zoe has the cutest little dress.  Nothing fancy, just a simple little A-line dress.  I think it looks very sweet on her.  And since it was such a simple dress, I decided I should copy it.  I just layed the dress out on some parchment paper and traced it, made it a tad bigger, and was ready to go.

The fabric I decided to use was some that I got by mistake.  I was ordering some Laura Gunn Climbing Lantern Pods fabric and what the etsy seller sent me was this Laura Gunn birdcage fabric.  It's cute, but I really needed the lantern pods, so the seller just gave me the birdcage fabric as an apology.  I didn't have any plans for it, so it's been sitting.  Waiting for a purpose.  It's time had come....

Birdcage dress
The color is a bit off in this picture... you'll see in a minute...

I am in love.  The original dress has snaps on the shoulder and I don't have any snaps... or buttons.  I know, how can I not have buttons?  I don't care much for fasteners on kids' clothes.  Most of the stuff I've made the girls has not needed any fasteners of any sort.  So I decided to just make some button holes and knot the strap through it.  I've seen a lot of apron dresses like that and it works here just fine.  Maybe I'll find some buttons I like to put on there, but it's no big deal.
There is one problem with the dress...

Ripped!
This is a more accurate representation of the color... 

There is a little rip in the fabric.  Makes me glad I got it for free.  I'm pretty sure it was there before the fabric was washed since it's a little frayed-looking, and it was washed very shortly after I received it.  For the time being, I just ironed on some fusible interfacing on the inside and I'll probably crochet a little applique to disguise the rip.  I just don't want it to get bigger.  

I also finished hemming the peasant dress I started a few weeks ago.

Peasant dress

I had planned on getting some brown bias tape to finish the hem and sleeves with instead of actually hemming it, but my children barely let me hem it at all.  Isabelle loves it and didn't care that it wasn't finished.  She wanted to wear it.  Olivia likes it too.  Zoe didn't seem to care.  She hardly ever wears anything I sew.  Hopefully she'll wear the Birdcage dress, but it should fit Izzy if not.

2 comments:

  1. VERY cute!

    If I were you, I'd buy some "Fray Check". It's at Hancock's or any sewing store. Acts kinda like clear fingernail polish.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both adorable. The birdcage fabric is so cute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...