Friday, February 18, 2011

Like a kid in a candy store

That's me at Hobby Lobby.  Of course, the real kids flopping around on the floor around me kind of dampens my excitement a tad.  It's like we walk in the place and they lose their minds.  Zoe tries to eat the plastic grapes and the other two try to play tag.  But I was on a mission.

A few weeks ago, I made a mohawk hat for a friend of mine in Canada (I guess that makes me international, yep, yep) and she said that her respite worker for her son (who is severely autistic) loved the hat and wants one for her baby.  So my friend has asked me to make one for her to give her friend as a gift.  She wanted it to have wild colors, so I had to see what I could find.  It wasn't much...

yarn

The yarn I used to make the first one, that frizzed up so wonderfully, doesn't really come in anything remotely wild.  It's the one on the left.  That was as wild as I could find.  Up close, it is a mix of purple, orange, yellow, red...  but it's kind of muted.  They did have some brighter colors, but they were very girlie.  Most of the "wild" I could find reminded me of girls, and this is for a boy.

The other yarn was pretty much an impulse buy.  I wanted to give her a choice and I just fell in love with this stuff.  I haven't used anything like it before and I can't wait to play with it.

I have another "commission" I'm working on.  An old friend of mine ordered a sock monkey hat and fingerless gloves from my shop and when I told her I had shipped it out, she asked me if I would make her something else.  She wants a bandana-style dress like I make for the girls, only in her size.  I'm kind of excited for the challenge of translating it into an adult size.  And she likes the Michael Miller fabric the girls vetoed for their Easter outfits, so I get to use it  anyway.  

So I have lots of stuff going on and I'm pretty stoked about it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...