Monday, February 7, 2011

One Little Change


Last week I did a lot of crocheting to put items in my zibbet shop to sell for charity.  It felt really nice, did my soul a lot of good.  But there was something else that I did that made me feel even better than that.  This:

Spartans Invade Vermont side

There is a story behind this hat.  I have a friend.  I've never technically met her, but she's just as much my friend as any one else.  She lives in Canada.  There are two things about her that make her a front-runner in the "people who inspire me the most" category.  First of all, she has lost over 100 pounds.  She's reached her goal weight and looks fantastic.  I made her a corset top last year so she could show it off.  =)  Secondly, she has three children with Austism.  I cannot imagine the struggles she faces, but she faces them head on with the best attitude you can imagine.  She just rocks.

When I was showing off my Heart Association donation items, she mentioned that she wanted a mohawk hat for her son.  She found one for her daughter, but they didn't have any boyish hats.  So I decided to make one.  I asked her kind of what she was looking for, but I didn't tell her I was doing it, because I wanted to surprise her a little bit (and I wanted to make sure I didn't just make a hot mess of a hat LOL) I was just giddy when I saw the finished hat, knowing that it would make someone very special happy.  I showed it to her and she loved it.  I would have just mailed it to her as a surprise, but I'm pretty sure she would just mail me a check after the fact (she was very adamant when I made her corset top that I charge her what I would charge any other person), plus I'm just going to add it to my Heart Walk money.

And about a week ago, I did surprise someone with something I made...

Shirt for my sister-in-law
 
This is a shirt for my sister-in-law.  She had mentioned needing this exact shirt, and without saying a word, I made it and shipped it off to her.  I thought I was going to lose my mind waiting on her to get it.  =)  She was so excited and it just made me feel so good.
 
So that's one of my little changes this year... trying to brighten up someone's day with something I made for them.  I have a few ideas planned and I committed to the "Pay It Forward" challenge on facebook earlier in the year and need to get those taken care of, too.  It's so much fun to make someone smile.

2 comments:

  1. Your friend sounds like Wonder Woman to me. I had my hands full with one kid with ADHD, I couldn't imagine having 3 autistic children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly an angel Jenny. I'm glad you are in my life.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...