Thursday, November 3, 2011

Quickie cowl

So today, my coworker starts trying to describe a cowl/neck warmer she bought  recently and said that she had told herself, "I bet Jennifer could make this."  Then she told me that if I was interested in making some that she'd sneak them into her nephew's booth at the Memphis Flea Market to see how they would sell.  I told her I'd think about it, but that I really didn't have much free time right now.  Then curiosity got the better of me and I did a little search to see what kind of quick-looking patterns I could find. 

I saw a few that reminded me of those tshirt scarves I've seen on Pinterest.  You know, you cut a tshirt into strips and twist them together.  Voila, a scarf.  The crocheted ones are just a long chain wrapped around and around.  I thought it was really cool looking.  So when I got home, I went digging through my stash for some chunky yarn to experiment with.

I found a dark red, probably 3/4 of a skein or so.  I just sat there and made the longest chain I've ever made since I was a kid and didn't know how to make it past the chain stitch so I just chained until I ran out of yarn.  Seriously, that's it.  An hour or so later, I ran out yarn, joined it into a huge circle, looped it around and around, secured it by just wrapping the yarn ends around the bundle and tying them off.  Voila!... a cowl.

chain cowl

You don't even really have to secure it...  it would be adjustable if you didn't.  But it would just turn into a huge knot around here if I hadn't.

I may or may not have dozed off a few times doing it... I'm kind of sleepy today and it's chilly out and chain stitching is kind of monotonous.  But I think it's cute.  Comfy too.  Long enough to keep the back of my neck warm and not make me feel like I'm being strangled.  Isabelle loves it.  She wore it most of the evening. 

I'll show it to my coworker and see what she thinks.  I could probably churn out a few of these before the next flea market without making it impossible to finish the things I'm obligated to.  I don't know.  We'll see.


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, This is so fun!

    There's also another way to do this that would not be adjustable, but is really quick and easy to do.
    I used worsted weight yarn and an H hook. Chain 120 and join with a slip stitch to the first chain. Then, chain 11 and in the 12th chain from the original row, crochet one single crochet. Chain 11 and in the 12th spot over, single crochet. Repeat around the entire chain. For the next row, you continue to chain 11 and single crochet in the 12 spot. The single crochets stack on top of one another.

    You just keep doing this around and around (it's basically a spiral) and it makes a really fun and easy cowl with a great pattern where the single crochets meet.

    I taught my beginning crochet group this cowl and they love it (they are all 12 and 13 years old). I have a picture somewhere. I'll post it on my blog and share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go: http://twinstitches.blogspot.com/2011/11/chain-cowl.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...