Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Warm hands

I don't know if I have ever told you this, but I am freakishly warm.  All the time.  I rarely have to wear a heavy jacket, even in the middle of winter (being in the South helps with that, too).  When I was little, my younger sister and I shared a bed and she would get so mad if my legs touched hers because they were so hot. I don't know if I just have excellent circulation or what.  The girls seem to have inherited it, though.  I have, on more than one occasion, checked their temperature when they got up in the morning because I thought they had fever.   It's not easy to get them to dress warmly.  It's funny... the one person in the house that was raised to endure the cold North Country (my husband is from upstate NY) is always the one to freeze around here. 

My hands are especially warm.  No one likes to hold hands with me for very long because I make their hands sweat in no time flat.  It's not always bad... I don't need a heating pad when Isabelle wakes up with growing pains.  In a matter of seconds, I can melt a freezer pop so that the girls can slide them up the tube without any trouble.  I would probably make a killer masseuse, if I could stand touching strangers that intimately.

But sometimes it's not so great.  There are times my hands are so warm that it's uncomfortable.  I will just sit and hold a cold soda can for a few minutes just because it feels so good to have something cold in my hands.  My fingers do get cold, but my palms are always so warm that gloves are just beyond uncomfortable.

I love fingerless gloves.  I wish like crazy I could wear them.  I might be able to get away with the more mesh-y patterns.  But I need something more like palm-less gloves.  I think that would look a little silly, but maybe I'll try it one day.  Because I'm just weird like that.  Anyway, I do love how fingerless gloves look and I jump when I get the chance to make them. 

One of my friends asked me to make her a pair, along with that silly chicken hat which wasn't supposed to look like a chicken.  Luckily she loves the hat.  I made her a pair of fingerless gloves last spring and so this time I asked if she minded if I tried another pattern.  She said she wanted them to be camouflage and the rest was up to me.  The only camouflage yarn I could find was Red Heart, aka Strings of Sandpaper.  I knew I could soften up the finished project, so I just went ahead and used it. 

I used a free pattern :  Gauntlet Style Fingerless Gloves  Now, I hate giving a not-so-great review about a pattern, because I've written a few and I know it's hard to write them.  But I wasn't crazy about the pattern.  It was slightly confusing.  Add that to the sandpaper yarn, and it took me a while to actually complete the set of gloves because I was so over it after the first one.  I finally finished them tonight. 

005

Now I just need to get my friend to give me her approval and I'll send them off.  I seriously need to work on my South Park amis now.... they'll need to be shipped off soon.  And 4 hats to make and ship off before Christmas.  I think I need to stop accepting requests now, if I plan on doing any crocheting for the girls for Christmas... and if I want to make any decorations.

PS... Exciting day!  My flight to get to the cruise was booked today.  Woo hoo!  Less than three months! I'm really excited and at the same time really anxious about leaving the girls for a week.  I'll be homesick before I can get seasick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...