Monday, December 26, 2011

Creamy Fruit Salad


Yes, another recipe from the self-proclaimed Kitchen Disaster!

Sometime around Thanksgiving (and I'm too lazy to see when or why), I mentioned our family's tradition of having fruit salad with our meal at holidays and that it's probably one of the most unhealthy fruit salads ever.

But it's really good.  And I was charge of making it this time.  Scary thought.

I called my mother, who was spending some time with my grandpa on his 89th birthday (Happy Birthday, Grandpa!!), and she gave me the recipe so I thought I'd share it with you.  Because, unhealthy or not,  it's really good fruit salad.

Well, she gave me her method.... "recipe" is usually a stretch for my mom on most of our traditional recipes.  It's like "a heaping serving spoon" or "a shake or two."  I'll try to decode as much as possible.  ;)  It's super simple and I shouldn't have to call and ask her about it, but I have a mental block on recipes, for real.

Want to make some fruit salad?  Let's go...



You need:

1 large or 2 regular cans of fruit cocktail, preferrably chunky-style.  (drained)
2 apples, diced
2 bananas, sliced
2 oranges
a few handfuls of miniature marshmallows
2-3 "heaping serving spoons"** of mayonnaise (about 1 cup)


Cut one of the oranges in half and squeeze the juice over the apples and bananas to prevent browning.  Section and cut the other half and the other orange and add to the apples and bananas.  Drain and add the fruit cocktail and the marshmallows.  Add the mayonnaise a little at a time until it's a creamy texture.  Chill for about an hour and serve with your dinner, not as a dessert. ;)

Trust me, I know mayo in fruit salad sounds gross.  But I promise, if you let it chill for about an hour, you don't even taste mayonnaise. 

My brother-in-law doesn't like it, so we make him a slightly different version where we leave out the marshmallows and mayonnaise and mix everything with Cool Whip. 

**heaping serving spoon = the big spoon in the table setting here...




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...