Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Spicy Pretzels... two ways.

Once upon a time, I would block off a night or two to make all sorts of happy Holiday treats before Christmas.  But this year, besides being crazy busy, I am trying to stay away from all the sweets.  Oh, I am sure I'll get to sample some fudge and chocolate covered cherries at some point, but I'm not making them and I'm not keeping a stash in the house.

However, there is one thing I have to make.  Spicy pretzels.  I gave some to Isabelle's teacher last Christmas (when she was Olivia's teacher) and she requested that I send some for their Christmas party at school this year. 

My boss also makes spicy pretzels, but uses a different recipe, so I thought I'd share both of them with you.  They're addicting either way.

For either recipe you will need a bag of mini pretzel twists.  The larger ones will work as well and probably the thin pretzel sticks, but I don't think the thicker rod type will work well.  Dump the whole bag into a large roasting pan or split it into two smaller pans.  Set the oven to 200* or the lowest your oven will go (my lowest setting is 240* and it works fine).

In a small bowl, mix one of these two sets of ingredients:

Mine
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 packet of dry Ranch dressing mix
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

My boss'
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 packet of dry Italian dressing mix
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 tsp garlic

Pour the oil mixture over the pretzels and toss to coat.

Bake for 2 hours, stirring the pretzels every half hour or so.  Allow to cool (but they do taste really good warm) before storing.






I made two batches and filled up six 2lb treat tins (not that it's 2lbs of pretzels.... but I'm sure they hold 2lbs of something....). 

1 comment:

  1. Oh... I should have checked blogger before going to the grocery store... Dang! I really want to try this! Thanks for sharing! I know how you feel about the Christmas craft crunch, I'm feeling it too. But it'll all get done, it always does. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...