Monday, December 19, 2011

Moving on up and facing the facts.

So... 6 sleeps until Christmas, huh?  How's it going?  I'm pretty frazzled over here.  I'm not gonna lie.  I am stressed out.

I knew when I kept piling things on my plate that it would be this way.  But I never really listen to myself.  I should try it sometime.

I think I'm OK in the non-kid department.  I decided to leave the beard off of the beard hat and throw in a gift card.  I tried the beard, but it wasn't working out right and I don't have time to fiddle with making it work.  My mom's shrug is 75% complete.  I need to try to squeeze a Hello Kitty hat in there if possible, but I'm not going to kill myself over it.  I haven't done serious laundry in 2 weeks.  Hello Kitty may take a backseat to some housework.

The girls' amis.... well, Hobbes is finished =)  The thing with Zoe and Olivia's amis is that the pattern writer used DK weight yarn and came out with a fairly good size ami.  I'm usuing worsted weight, so that good size ami is pretty big now.  Zoe's giraffe is over 12" tall.  Olivia's cat's head is big enough that Bill thought I was making a hat at first.  This is my plan.... get the giraffe's body made (I'm short a leg and tail) and worry about the spots, mane, and accessories (he's supposed to have a binky and diaper) if I have time.  I can always add them after Christmas.  Then concentrate on the cat.   It doesn't have nearly the amount of details as the giraffe, but it's huge.

Anyway...

Let's talk about some technology here...

I am not really big on tech.  I love it, but I'm never that big on rushing out to get the newest gadget or anything.  In fact, I'm usually one of the last.  This month looks to be a huge month for us catching up with the rest of the world in terms of technology.

I have a smartphone.  A very stupid smartphone.  It runs on a Windows operating system, and if you know anything about smartphones, this means I don't get any good apps.  My kids are stuck playing dice and popping bubbles on my phone.  No Angry Birds.  No Words With Friends.  My phone sucks.  And lately, it's decided it's all out of memory.  No amount of deleting has fixed it either.  I've removed as much as I can find to remove.  It's to the point that I can't even send a text.  Now my Swype is screwing up.  I just can't handle this.  So I ordered a Droid.  Nothing fancy, it was even a free upgrade, so wahoo for free!  My kids are going to be so excited.

I also got something techie for my hubby, but he occasionally reads this, so we'll just wait on that ;)

We got a Wii for "the girls" for Christmas.  I think Daddy will get quite a bit of use out of it, too.  We've never owned a video game system.  Never.  I'm not into video games and I resisted letting one into the house because I've seen so many friends fight with their boyfriends or husbands over the amount of time they spend on their games.  But the girls are getting old enough to be a nuisance wanting to play on Barbie.com now, so I thought we'd give them another option.  Plus, we got a dance game so maybe we can wear them out with it.  =)

Aaaand... I got a Kindle for Christmas.  Early.  Because he figured since I knew what it was anyway.  I held out on getting an ereader for a long time.  I just like having a book.  But my sister got one and after talking to her, I caved.  I think my biggest reason is my upcoming cruise.  I'm sure I can read two or three books in my downtime, and that takes up too much space.  Need to leave some room for yarn in my bag. =)


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm going to have ANY sleeps till Christmas. I always bite off way more than I can chew in the creativity department. This year I'm determined to finish it. All.

    I don't like video games much, either, but we have a wii and the boys really like it! I try to buy games where they have to jump around and use their whole bodies. Our oldest has the Star Wars Lego game, but he's always jumping around and swinging the remote even if he doesn't have to!

    Finally. Your Kindle. I have a Nook. I like it and I don't. It's GREAT on vacation and to drag around when I'm playing Mom Taxi. I still like the heft & smell of books, though.

    Now I need to get back to my insane To Make list for Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will grow to love your Kindle. I agree, books are better, but like you said, you can download as many books as you want onto the Kindle for your holiday and it will take up no space. And it's so easy to just choose something else to read, depending on your mood. Keep an eye on the free books and limited offers on Amazon too - you'll probably see things that you would never think of spending money on, but if they're free, why not give them a try?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...