Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I am a machine!

I'm not sure what has gotten into me this week, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself out of it by mentioning it, but I have managed to keep the house pretty tidy, keep laundry caught up, AND have time to sew and crochet.  I think my new little system of 5 minute tidies is the key.  I set an alarm to go off once an hour and I stop whatever I'm doing and just run around the house picking up toys, clothes, whatever for 5 minutes.  You can actually get a lot accomplished in 5 minutes.  Now, laundry and washing dishes don't count - they're extra - but it hasn't been bad.

Here's what I did just yesterday...

Baby mohawk =)
A Spartan baby!

The hubster told me yesterday that he had another mission for me... a mohawk hat for a baby.  One of his coworkers is expecting a bundle of joy any day now and he wanted to give him a gift for the baby.  I have never, ever known my husband to care about stuff like that, so I was kind of shocked.  I think he might get a kick out of the mohawk hats more than I do.  All he knows is that it's a boy and the dad is a Razorback fan, so we decided on red and black.  It took no time at all to make - baby hats go so much faster than one for a grown noggin.

But wait!  That's not all...

My new purse.  Not really thrilled that the green marbled fabric looks so camo...

I made a purse!  I am not one of those people who change purses to match my outfit.  I am not even one of those people who change purses with the season.  I couldn't tell you how long I had my purse before, but it was in very sad shape.  I only carried it when I had to - normally I just grab my wallet and go.  

The pattern is the Sash Bag by Homespun Threads.  It's a free pattern, one of several really awesome patterns she has.  I found it in December and just haven't been in a sewing mood to actually make it until now.  It was super easy.  No pattern pieces, just simple measurements.. which is what I prefer.  She has another bag I want to make, but I made this one first because it didn't involve pattern pieces.  It has a magnetic closure, something I've never done before.  I was intimidated, I'll admit it.... but it was so easy I felt kind of stupid.  My only problem with the finished bag is the green marbled fabric.  It looks like camo.  Blech.  Not the look I was going for.  But it will work for now.  It took me about 2 hours, start to finish, so I imagine I can knock another one out eventually when I find the right fabric.  It would be really easy to make it bigger, too, which I might do next time.  It's a good size, but just a teeny, tiny bit smaller than I need.  

Changing gears....

My Dodo had her follow up appointment and is the proud owner of a normal-sized spleen again!  Yay!  She does have an ear infection, but they rarely bother her, so that's no biggie.  The doctor even gave me the option of just waiting to see if it took care of it on its own, but I opted for another round of antibiotics because (a) she mentioned Zoe's lymph nodes were still a little swollen, so I figured being a little more aggressive would be best and (b) I really would rather stay away from the pediatrician's office for a month or two if possible.  Please and thank you.

So, other than the fact that I think I pinched a nerve in my shoulder or something and feel like someone is stabbing me in the back, this has been an excellent week so far.  Let's keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...