I don't know how others have done it, but I knew if I tried to make up all the squares and then piece them together that I'd just end up with a mess of lost squares. So I've been taking it in sections... completing just those squares, piecing them together and then adding it to the blanket. The first few sections go really quickly. Once I hit section 6, it just slowed down considerably. And then I got caught up in holiday crafting and poor Babette was put to sleep for a while.
I took her out again yesterday and finished up section 7. I noticed that as Babette is growing, I can see how my skills as a crocheter have grown also. Not that it takes a lot of skill to make this blanket, but I'm better at keeping my tension consistent and my larger squares don't turn out quite so warped. ;) It will never be as gorgeous as the one in the picture, or even a lot of the projects I saw on Ravelry, but I don't expect it to be. I've only been crocheting about a year, and still have much to learn and I've been having a ton of fun with it.
Babette through section 7... 3 more to go plus border.