The pattern was written for Red Heart... I used Caron Simply Soft, which is a slightly thinner yarn (but still considered worsted...) and it called for an I hook, which I replaced with a G hook because it was handy, so obviously my gauge was way off. My square turned out 6.5" where it should have been 8", but I was just playing around, so it's not big deal. I probably wouldn't use Caron Simply Soft for a full afghan... it tends to split alot (surely I'm not the only one who has that problem) which is a pain with the roll stitch.
I am in love with this square. It's going to stay up on my wall for a while. I don't think I would do the actual afghan in white like that, but it's tempting. I love the lattice work on the corners and I really like the center. Now that I have the roll stitch down, the next one will be more uniform. I will definitely use this pattern to make something, if not a full afghan.
I'm going to make test squares of all 4 of the patterns I'm considering before I commit. I might make Joyous Squares next. I need to see if I have enough coordinating colors to make it look right.