Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Ode to Vinegar

OK, it's not really an "ode."  I gave up writing bad poetry years ago.

But I do have an almost abnormal love for vinegar.  Besides being a super cheap cleaning alternative, and tons of fun when you throw some baking soda into it, I love the taste of it.  No, I don't drink it out of the jug.  I do realize that would be crazy.

When I was pregnant the last two times, I was obsessed with any vinegar-y food.  I had to have fries for lunch every day, just so I could justify eating ketchup by the bowl.  I craved it.  It's the only real craving I ever had.  I still love it, but it's not that bad anymore.  In fact, I hardly touch ketchup anymore.  But mustard, banana peppers, salt & vinegar chips.... love it.

Anyway, I made something for dinner tonight that was just about the most perfect food ever.  There are two recipes that I had found recently and wanted to try:


The Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes


Salt & Vinegar Broiled Fingerling Potatoes

Now, usually, I'm not adventurous in the kitchen.  I take a recipe and follow it to a T.  But I just couldn't stop thinking that I could combine these two.  The S&V dish requires you to boil your potatoes in vinegar.  So why  not make the Crash Potatoes, but boil the potatoes in vinegar?  So I did it.  Much to my children's dismay.  The house still smells pretty vinegar-y.  Sorry, kids.

But after that, I followed the Crash Potato recipe.  

Holy moly.  If you like salt & vinegar potato chips, you will love these.  I know no one else here will eat it, so I may never get the chance to make it again.  Which is pure tragedy, let me tell you.  

It was so good.

Anyway, on to a different topic....

I have made a decision.  I'm not going to try to sell my sock monkey hat patterns.  Instead, I'm going to post them here, for free.  In fact, I think next week will be known as Sock Monkey Week!  Which is pretty much the coolest week you can ever have, really.  

We will have the Original Sock Monkey..... The Sassy Sock Monkey.... The Punk Monkey.... The Pirate Monkey.... and to round out the week, I might come up with a new monkey.  We'll see if I can brainstorm something.  So be sure to stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...