Monday, July 18, 2011

Hammer Time!

And now that I have that song stuck in your head, let's carry on...

The other day I had an idea.  I was thinking of our trip to Florida and taking pictures of the girls on the beach and wondering what I wanted them to wear.  Did I want to make something, and if I do, what?  Then I just had this vision of a dress with lace straps that are threaded through grommets.  I have obsessed over this idea for days now.  I've been just chomping at the bit to bring this idea to life. 

I had 3 yards of pink linen that I bought for something else that I just can't motivate myself to make.  That's more than enough for 3 dresses.  When I went to buy light bulbs for our laundry room yesterday, I strategically planned my trip so that I could pop in to buy some grommets and lace.  But yesterday was Laundry Day, so I couldn't sew.  And I wasn't sure I would be able to today, because I was so tired earlier.

Well, I caught my second wind and took off!

The dress itself is very simple.  I took some measurements and drafted a simple, simple pattern.  Sewed it up minus the hem (and I might not hem it, I'm kind of digging the raw edge.... we'll see) and then came the fun part.

Grommets!

I love my handy-dandy hammer.  Seriously.  But don't tell my husband, because I love to drive him insane by using other items to hammer.  I once used a toy hammer to put a nail in the wall and he almost had a stroke.  Shoes, the end of a screw driver.... he can't stand it.  He's very adamant that the right tool be used for the right application.  And his Snap On balance shows it.  Blech.  But I do love my hammer and I loved sitting out on the concrete step pounding the daylights out of those grommets.  It was awesome.

I kind of wish I had more lace to work with... and I might try to find more.  4 feet per dress does not go as far as I had thought.  I am a horrible judge of distance.  It'll work, but I'm not satisfied!

So... here is my dress so far.  On a hanger.  The drawback of sewing while the kids are sleeping.

Planning some awesome beach pics in this.

The picture doesn't really do it justice.  It looks really straight, but it's more A-line.  You'll just have to take my word on it until I get some beach pictures.  Maybe I'll make a tutorial.  It's ridiculously simple and grommets are far easier to put on than you would think. 

I've been sitting here glancing over at it and I'm so in love with it.  It's simple enough that I think I can make two more without wanting to scream.  

I love it when my ideas work out the way I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...