Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm coming around

When digital photography took off, I stubbornly refused to go digital for a long time.  I love the look of pictures taken on film.  Our wedding photographer shot both digital and film photos and I could tell a big difference and didn't like the digital photos much.  But eventually I bought a little digital camera to take just around the house kind of pictures to cut some of the expense of developing photos and then my husband got me a DSLR and I haven't touched film in years.  Considering the number of photos I take, I've paid for my expensive DSLR many times over.  And now you really can't tell much difference since the quality of digital photography just gets better all the time.

My current technology hold out is eReaders.  I don't own a Kindle or Nook or anything of the sort, despite the fact that I read.  A lot.  I love the feel of a book in my hands.  One of my friends told me that I'm the only person she knows who can read a paperback without breaking the spine, which can't be true since all the books I borrow from my sister are pristine, like they just came off the bookstore shelf. 



Source: amazon.com via Adia on Pinterest


I'm starting to reconsider, though.  I don't buy books anymore, and am ready to box up all the books I have here, since my kids like to scatter them about the house.  Plus, I rarely reread a book, so I don't really need to keep it on hand.  There are a few I would never part with, but for the most part, I'm ready to get rid of the whole lot of them.  I generally get my books at the library, but our library is tiny so I have to request books from neighboring libraries and wait for them to be delivered to my library.  It takes a few days, which isn't all that inconvenient to someone with patience.  I'm not someone with patience. 

I started thinking that it would just be awesome to be able to download a book from the library onto my eReader.  It would be free (of course, it would disappear after a while, but like I said, I don't need to keep them), I could get it as soon as I want it, and I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not there is a parking space at the library (there usually isn't).  And I wouldn't have to be on a waiting list for popular books.  Plus, my kids couldn't lose my bookmark - which happens daily.  I try to tell myself I could even take it to the gym, but I'm not sure how well I would be able to read and do the elliptical.  I'm not extremely coordinated and it doesn't take much to throw me off my stride.  Plus, I can't read and listen to music, and I need my music at the gym. 


Source: etsy.com via Edie on Pinterest

I might even be geeky and make it a bookish cover.

So, maybe I'll dive into the eBook age before too long.  We'll see.  Until then, I need to see when my sister will be home so I can get the rest of the Sookie Stackhouse series.  I'm feeling a little obsessed.  ;)

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about and e-reader... Maybe and ipad with a Kindle app. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a kindle for my birthday last year and it's great for what it is! But I've read two books on it since I got it and like 12 in hand books. I love the way books smell! But kindle gives you games and "no peaking" which I'm horrible about looking ahead. Good luck finding the ereader that'll be best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - I'm exactly like you. I've been able to resell my books on Amazon as "Like New" because you cannot tell they've ever been read.

    That said, I bought a Nook last summer and I am so glad I did. I love borrowing books from the library and "purchasing" free books through B&N. I thought I would never get into reading on an e-reader, but I borrowed one from my work (I'm a teacher) and fell in love with the ability to look up words easily and download books quickly.

    A month or so ago, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and I have been reading on it almost exclusively. Why? I downloaded the apps for Amazon Kindle and Nook AND the OverDrive app. I can now use one device to read all of my Kindle books (almost 90% of which I got free), my Nook books, AND using OverDrive, I can download books from my library directly to my tablet and read them immediately.

    The Galaxy Tablet that I bought is the 7 in one so it is the same size as my Nook, but is heavier. That doesn't matter though given all of the amazing other things I can do: answer emails, transfer money on my bank's website, shop for clothes, etc. I did not even register it with Sprint for the 3G. I blocked the 3G and only use my tablet on my wireless internet connection at home and at places like Starbucks and the library that offer free wifi.

    If you decide to get one ask around, lots of people have opinions and you can check them out at a lot of locations. I'm really glad I bought mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a major hold out, too! I LOVE to read. I always have! I love old book smell, new book smell, the sound a page makes when you turn it...My hubby got me a Nook for Christmas last year. And I like it. It's not a bad thing. It was great on vacation (I had six books at my fingertips without the bulk). I'm still reading paper books, too. It's about 50/50! It won't ever replace my "Book Hoarding" issue, but you can get some great ebook deals and I borrow a lot from my library on the Nook.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...