Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yay for an answer

As you know if you read my post about Izzy being in the hospital, we left without an actual diagnosis.  We knew what wasn't wrong with her and since she was better, I was glad to leave, but a bit frustrated that we didn't have an answer to what had caused her so much pain.

Today we had our follow up appointment with the pediatrician, and I didn't expect much more than "oh, good to see she's better, hope it doesn't happen again."  But, surprisingly, I was told what they felt was wrong with her. 

Mesenteric Adenitis.

Don't worry, it sounds way scarier than it is.  It's when the lymph nodes in the abdomen become inflamed, usually due to a viral infection in the intestines.  It mimics the symptoms of appendicitis - fever, severe abdominal pain.  I'm usually pretty cautious about investigating things online, because I know so many people who go overboard with that and end up making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I did do a little research just to make sure I understood what it was and if there was anything to worry about.  I really feel like I don't need to worry about it at all, unless it happens again, at which time we'd be headed to the pediatric gastroenterologist to find out what's going on.  But I'm going to keep the positive outlook that it won't happen again.

So, even with having all three kids bouncing off the walls and Izzy having to give a little blood, the appointment was far better than I had hoped.  Actually, my main irritation was that the lab chick gave Izzy some gloves as a reward for being so tough, and the doctor all but freaked out when she saw the gloves and went off on a tangent about my kids choking to death on them.  Talk to your staff about it, don't try to take my kid's reward from her after she just had her finger stabbed.  I mean, do I need to revert to cutting up her hot dogs and put her back in a rear-facing car seat while I'm at it?  She's 5.  I am pretty sure that I've covered the "don't put balloons in your mouth" subject with her and to her a glove is a balloon with fingers. 

Anyway.  I think I went off on a tangent there.  ;)  Suffice it to say, we know what was wrong, we know she's better, people make me crazy, and that's all folks!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found out what the problem was. Lymph nodes are such weird things. Trey had several that got infected when he was 11 and we never did figure out why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A relief to know the cause, for sure!

    Glad she's better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol... What kid can resist those latex gloves anyway. Mine have been known to take a few while no one is in the room. Happy they had some answers for you today. Hope she continues to stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to have an answer. Any way to prevent it happening again? There is way too my paranoia in the States about small parts/toys and bacteria. It's all a little much! Take care! Tammy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...