Saturday, July 23, 2011

To tat or not to tat

I've mentioned before that my husband and I are huge fans of the state park system here in Arkansas.  When we go looking for things to do, it's pretty common for him to scour their website looking for someplace we've never been.  One place we've not been, despite the fact that it's pretty close to us, is the Plantation Agriculture Museum.  He was looking at it online last night and discovered that they have a free introduction to tatting class today, and he told me I should go.

First, it's pretty rare for him to suggest that I go do something on my own.  Not that he doesn't think I deserve some "me time" or anything.... we just don't get a lot of family time and both of us enjoy having the other around to share the parenting duties a bit, since we do it solo most of the week.  Second, I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head.  I sew, I crochet, I knit, I read.  I'm already a horrible housekeeper and don't get enough sleep as it is.  My list of projects I feel I must accomplish is usually longer that the life expectancy of a tortoise. 

I had a vague idea of what tatting is, but since my curiosity was piqued, I had to look it up.  Tatting is like crochet, but not.  Kind of like crocheting is like knitting, but not.  You use thread and a tool called a shuttle to make intricate designs, like in lace and doilies.


Source: bing.com via Tabatha on Pinterest


I watched a few videos, and it doesn't look really hard, but it is intricate and I'm not entirely fond of working with thread.  The first few times I worked with crochet thread, it gave me a terrible headache.  But you can make some of the most beautiful things...



Tatted lace


Source: etsy.com via Julia on Pinterest

A dragonfly!


Source: flickr.com via Gloria on Pinterest

Amazing.

I'm conflicted.  On one hand, I'm up for creating anything beautiful.  On the other, I really don't need the distraction.  But man, it's pretty.  Hmmm.  I don't think I'll go today.  I'm sure they'll have another class at some point and if not, there are books and youtube.  I'll file it up there with needle felting, another craft I'm dying to learn. 


Source: tumblr.com via hilary on Pinterest

I WISH.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... I'm thinking that quote at the bottom makes a lot of sense. These are gorgeous! Just took a beginners spinning class last week. Feeling conflicted myself. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm not sure I have the time to spend perfecting this new little hobby. Having fun trying it out for now. You should go to the next class. All of us mommies need a little me time. Wishing you a happy Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...