Saturday, March 31, 2012

All in a day's work...

I am rocking my list for this weekend.

I wasn't sure last night that it would happen.  I had a peasant dress that was about 75% done, but I got frustrated with it and had thrown it in the corner.  So I pulled it back out to finish.  But Ethel sounded really sick.  I was worried.  I put everything up and made a plan to go get some oil and do some maintenance work on her this morning.

I'm a horrible seamstress and had never done it before.  I've had her since before Isabelle was born.  She's about to turn 6.  Granted, I didn't use her much until the past three years, but three years is a very long time for a machine to go without TLC.

I ran to get some oil and gave her a lube job.  She was much happier afterwards.  So, in between our 8 loads of laundry today, I sewed. 

Let me show you...

DSC_0151
Like how she's holding up that cloud?  ;)

I finished the peasant dress.  It is a free pattern on Fabric.com.  Although I've made peasant dresses without patterns before.  They're not that hard.  Olivia has been wearing it since I finished, but Zoe tried it on and I think it looks a little better on her short body.  The band at the bottom hits her at a little better spot, I think.

After that, I got to work on figuring out how to make a romper.  I think rompers are adorable, but I have a few issues with them.  First of all, you have to take them off to go to the bathroom.  There's not much I can do about that.  Secondly, most of the patterns I've seen require some sort of assistance for the kid to get them on... ties or buttons or whatnot.  Call me lazy, but I don't want to help my kids get redressed every time they have to pee.  So I schemed for a few days to come up with a solution.

My kids have a different issue with rompers.  They rarely wear shorts or pants.  The girls were late to school one day this week because all Olivia had clean to wear to school were shorts and she refused to get dressed.  But I was going to try to make the romper girly enough that they might be convinced to wear it without tears.

And how did it go?  Let's see...

DSC_0007

DSC_0006

It is loose and frilly enough to pass as a dress, but you can do this...

DSC_0008

... and not show your underoos to the neighbors. (Obviously not something Olivia is concerned about =/ )

I am going to try to work up a tutorial for it, in case anyone is interested.  It's super simple and, yes, she can get it off and on without any help.  =)

So, that's my day.  I still need to fold two loads of laundry and wash the dishes.  Then I get to spend the rest of the night seriously cleaning the living room to prepare for some new furniture.  Exciting, I know....


2 comments:

  1. I love your work! And I love when your girls model your work, they are precious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORABLE! I would love to read a Romper Tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...