Thursday, March 22, 2012

Meet Lucy

Lucy

Meet Lucy.  My new (to me) serger.  Hi, Lucy!

It took me an hour to thread that beast.  I felt like I had to name it because of all the ugly things I had called it during that hour.  

I have to tell you a secret.  I'm an idiot.  Really.  I was so excited about this serger, but I didn't really do any research into it.  So I took my sewing machine and put it up.  Plunked ol' Lucy down and went to work trying to get it set up.  I had no clue what I was doing, really.  Just following along with the booklet to get it threaded and then I did a test run.

Test

Yeah, baby!  It works!  And for an older machine, one that's been sitting in storage for years, it runs so smooth.  She's a fiesty one.

Then I started really looking at it.  I ran another test with a larger seam allowance, and yep... it slices the extra right off.  But wait... that is great for seams, but what about everything else?  It can't lop stuff off like that all the time.

I ran to the computer to do some Googling.  Ahhhhh.  I see....

I need my sewing machine, too!  Dummy me thought I could just replace it.  Nope, it still very much has a job still.

I never named my sewing machine.  So I decided it was time.  She's Ethel.  Ethel and Lucy.  Ethel is still up on the shelf in the laundry room because I have another problem right now.

I don't have room for two machines.  The horror!

My sewing table is just crammed into a corner of my bedroom.  I have my cutting mat on one side, the machine on the other.  My tub of fabric has to be moved (along with other bags o'crafts that seem to be multiplying faster than rabbits) anytime I want to sew.  The whole reason that I set up my corner was so that I could sew when I wanted to, but I've accumulated so much junk that it's just not working that way anymore.  And to add another machine? 

So I have an idea.  I don't know if it's a good idea yet, but it's an idea.  We have a 3 bedroom house, which is currently divided up into Master Bedroom, Girls' bedroom, playroom.  The girls hardly ever play in their playroom because it's always a disaster.  So why not split the playroom with them?  I take half as a sewing area, they get the other half as a playroom.  I can get more sewing done, not having to be sequestered in my room.  I'll have better lighting.  Isabelle even said I could tape off my area so they could keep the toys out of it (as if).  I need to run it by the Mister to see what he thinks. 

I have two major misgivings about it.  First, and most importantly, I worry that my stuff won't be safe.  They don't mess with it in my room very often, but they aren't really supposed to be in there anyway.  I can lock up alot of things, but I'd have to figure out how to keep the machines safe.

Secondly, the girls aren't going to share a bedroom forever.  Eventually, Olivia is going to demand some privacy.  Probably sooner rather than later.  We didn't think the separate playroom would be a permanent arrangement, and since she's 7 now I'm sure the time is coming to an end quickly.  That would be the end of my sewing space.  I know we won't live in this house forever... maybe I can hold her off until we decide to move. 

I need to figure out what to do soon... I have things I want to sew!

2 comments:

  1. they have those great armoirs, even computer ones you might be able to use that would shut everything up. You might find they play in there more, specially if you are in sewing. 7 is not too young to learn how to sew! easy projects like little doll quilts. wonder if you made some pretty sewing machine covers would keep their little hands off the machines? good luck sounds like fun problem though! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethel and Lucy... How perfect! We have the same small space issue and three girls.... And now my husband is working from home. One of the girls had to give up their room to make office space for daddy. That really was no big deal considering they slept together every night in Isabel's room anyhow. I have to say as I was clearing out the room for him I did well up inside with a bit of jealousy. How I would LOVE to have my own little space that is all my own... Someday! Loved this post Jennifer. As you often do you made me giggle today. Wishing you a happy week in your new little sewing corner!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...